Travel to India with this simple Dahl recipe just in time for the winter chills!
- 400g green lentils, washed and drained
- 2x 400g cans coconut milk
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes, optional
Place a pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped garlic with olive oil and salt and let that cook for 1-2 minutes before adding all the spices, followed by the chopped tomatoes. Stir well, letting the garlic and spices fry together for a few minutes before stirring through the lentils, followed by the coconut milk. Bring the mix to the boil, before reducing to simmer over a low temperature. Leave to cook, uncovered, for about 1 hour until thick and creamy – making sure to stir it every 10-15 minutes, ensuring it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and adding a splash of water if it feels like it’s drying out. Once cooked, stir through a little more salt and serve.